The Software Engineering bachelor’s degree was established in 2007 as a interdisciplinary program between the College of Engineering and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Iowa State’s Software Engineering students interact with a diverse faculty and student body where they gain expertise in computer science, engineering, and math that will prepare them to design, develop, and evaluate software, configure and install computer systems, and build and maintain software systems throughout their lifecycles. This educational preparation prepares Iowa State’s Software Engineering graduates for the most-in demand technology professions.
Software Engineering at Iowa State continues to be one of the fastest growing majors. In Spring 2017, it was the 12th largest major with 573 undergraduates. By Fall 2018, the program grew to 785 enrolled students.
Iowa State University’s Software Engineering bachelor’s degree program was ranked sixth in the nation Spring 2017 by College Choice, according to academic reputation, student satisfaction, affordability and average annual salary of graduates. Iowa State received sixth place on a list of 20 top university programs.
In the summer of 2018 Iowa State University's Software Engineering Program was ranked second from schools.com on the top 10 best colleges for software engineering degree programs in the U.S. https://www.schools.com/programs/software-engineering.
This jointly administered program is led by Professor-in-Charge, Dr Akhilesh Tyagi and supported by several faculty committees, as well as a student services team. The structure is composed of the following:
- Colleges: College of Engineering and Liberal Art & Sciences
- Professor-in-Charge: Akhilesh Tyagi
- Faculty Committees
- ABET Assessment Committee: Samik Basu (chair), Andrew Miner, Suresh Kothari, Goce Trajcevski
- Portfolio/Senior Design Committee: Akhilesh Tyagi (chair), Henry Duwe, Ali Jannesari, Teela Wilmes
- Strategic Planning Committee: Suresh Kothari (Chair), Lofti Ben-Othmane, Samik Basu, Carl Chang
- Student Community Development Committee: Goce Trajcevski (Chair), Henry Duwe, Ali Jannesari
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee: Samik Basu (chair), Andrew Miner, Suresh Kothari, Goce Trajcevski
- Petitions Subcommittee (of Undergraduate Curriculum Committee): Srikanta Tirthapura, Wei Le
- Student Services
- Adviser III: Teela Wilmes
- Adviser II: Jason Follett, Patrick Determan
- Program Assistant II: Katy Burke